Zakopane and the Tatra Mountains
It is a non standard, unique and fully private Slow Tours Poland excursion to the winter capital of Poland. We will take you to admire stunning views away from busy sites. You will avoid crowds of people with us, having enough time to explore the place at your own pace.
- Experience Zakopane through the flavours of local cuisine – taste a fresh smoked cheese made of salted sheep milk
- See breathtaking mountain views
- Get acquainted with local folklore and traditions
- Learn about wooden architecture
Zakopane is situated 100 km (75 miles) south from Krakow. Known as the Winter Capital of Poland, the town is located at the foot of the Tatras, the only alpine-type mountains in Central Europe. Before the World War I Zakopane became an artistic and cultural capital of Poland and many eminent artists, musicians, poets and writers had settled there.
It is also a place of original folklore. Costumes, highlanders’ music, delicious food and even Podhale dialect spoken by the locals is far different from anything you might encounter anywhere else in Poland.
Its main attractions are mountains and landscapes protected within the Tatra National Park with great opportunities to walk and hike. It is also proud of its 19th-century wooden architecture.
- Pick up from your hotel by your private English speaking tour leader
- 2,5 hours later – coffee break (amazing mountain views + introduction to the visit)
- a stop to visit the wooden Jaszczurowka chapel (in Zakopane style) & panorama of the Tatra mountains
- visit of Zakopane: old cemetery, one of wooden houses in Zakopane style (optional)
- free time for lunch in a regional restaurant (lunch is not included)
- some free time for shopping at the local market (handicraft products, regional food – ‘oscypek’ (smoked sheep’s cheese), leather produce, etc)
- funicular ride to the top of Gubalowka mount, 30 ‘ walk to admire picturesque views of the Tatra mountains, chairlift ride down the hill
- a visit in Chocholow Village which is the ‚living museum’ with about 100 inhabited wooden houses in the same style (you will feel like travelling in time)
- return to Krakow to your hotel.
Meeting location & Tour duration:
- Tour starts: at your hotel/ apartment
- Tours ends: at your hotel/apartment
- Tour duration: 8 -10 hours
- Local, professional & knowledgeable English-speaking tour- leader
- Door- to door transportation with a licensed, professional driver
- Funicular & chairlift ride
- Entrance fee to the Old Cemetery of Zakopane
- Tasting of smoked cheese
- Coffee break with a typical snack
- Lunch and additional food and drinks
- Personal expenses